Mozilla’s Hubs virtual collaboration platform now lets you host your own corner of the Immersive Web with their Hubs Cloud program, but did you know you can easily start earning money from your Hubs Cloud without adding advertisements or writing any code?
What is Web Monetization?
Web monetization is a new way to make money from the content you create and put online. It respects user privacy and it doesn’t clutter your creations with obnoxious ads. It works by streaming micropayments direct from your audience to you. As people spend time enjoying your content, they also send small amounts of money to your wallet, and there’s no middleman taking a cut of your earnings.
What is Mozilla Hubs?
Mozilla Hubs is a free and open-source platform for virtual collaboration and socializing. It allows people to join together in shared immersive experiences right from their Web browser on desktop, mobile, or even in virtual reality. Hubs Cloud is a way for people to host and customize their own private version of Hubs. While running the servers has costs associated with it, Web Monetization offers a way to make those servers sustainable.
What are the steps I need to take to monetize my Hubs Cloud?
Monetizing your existing Hubs Cloud doesn’t cost anything and won’t take more than 15 minutes to setup.
1. If you don’t already have a Hubs Cloud, you’ll need to set one up. Watch this video and follow the quick start guide.
3. Follow the instructions on Coil to create a wallet and update your payment address
4. Copy your monetization meta tag from Coil -> Settings -> Monetize content
5. Visit your Hubs Cloud, click Admin in the top menu, and navigate to Setup -> Server settings -> Advanced tab
6. Scroll down to find the four “Extra header HTML” options and paste your monetization meta tag into each one.
7. Scroll to the bottom and click “Save”
That’s it! Now when Web Monetization subscribers visit your Hubs Cloud, they’ll automatically stream money to your wallet.
How do I earn more with unlockable premium content?
After following the steps above, you’ve made it possible for people to support your Hubs Cloud, but you haven’t given them any incentive to go sign up if they aren’t already using Coil. One of the best ways to increase the number of monetized users you have is to offer exclusive premium content for paying users. Immers Space is a flagship grantee of the Grant for the Web program, and over the next 6 months we’ll be exploring ways to add premium monetized features and content to your Hubs Cloud and sharing our findings and open-source tools you can use. Sign up for our mailing list so you don’t miss the latest updates!